Here’s a tip on how to add transparency to your image in gimp.
- open the image, you want to work on
- adding alpha channel (transparent layer) by CLICKING menu > LAYER > TRANSPARENCY > ADD ALPHA CHANNEL
- select the fuzzy selector – and with it, click & select the area you want to remove
- click & select the area you want to remove
- now let’s clear the area, by CLICKING menu EDIT > CLEAR (CTRL + K)
- now your image has transparent background and is possible to save in a transparent capable format, like GIF or PNG
Original article found here: http://forums.techarena.in/customize-desktop/1152621.htm