I think I found my new favorite programming language: Python. After 10 years of Java, Python is quite refreshing.
Here are what I like and dislike about the language.
- typesafe without having to declare types
- proper amount of verbosity i.e. if not valid instead of if !valid.
- indentation forces a common coding standard
- the fact that objects can be treated as maps (dict in python parlance)
- the lack of a marker to end a block of code i.e. }, end, fi, etc.
- lack of semi-colon (;) while it’s optional it looks stupid with other python code, but not using it makes it hard to switch between languages.
- passing self to methods
All in all Python is kickass. Now perl SUCKS!