Since I first installed Fedora Core 6, the desktop effects would lock up my box within 30 minutes. The hang requires that I hit the reset button on the box as it doesn’t respond to the keyboard or mouse. After reboot, I usually only get about 5 minutes worth of usage before it hangs again. I’m thinking it might be heat related, but I find it odd that turning off desktop effects will yield HOURS of reliable use.
Since I really want the desktop effects to work I restarted my quest again. I installed beryl today to see if that was any better, thinking it might have been something wrong with compiz. But 30 minutes later, BOOM! It’s like clockwork.
I’ve searching through bug after bug looking for clues:
- ATI X300 (RV370 [Radeon X300SE])
- AMD Athlon 64 CPU 3200+ (socket 939)
- 1GB CORSAIR memory
- MSI K8N Neo-F (MS-7125)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) 250GB SATA
- LITE-ON 16x DVD burner
- Fedora Core 6 x86_64
The machine is rock solid unless I use desktop effects 😦
My plan is as follows:
- run yum update to make sure I get the latest set of FC6 updates
- install compiz-debuginfo to see if that offers any more information
- see if I can ssh into the box when it hangs
- inspect .xsession-errors (Xorg.0.log doesn’t have anything, neither does /var/log/messages)
- run the opengl screensavers to see if it’s a compiz/beryl thing or opengl in general
I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress.