Apparently the US attorney’s office has nothing to do except cater to the music and movie industry. Our current copyright laws and intellectual property laws (especially software patents) are out dated. While Gonzales is trying to keep “updated” his proposal is completely ridiculous.
– Criminalize “attempting” to infringe copyright.
How exactly do you “attempt” to infringe a copyright? Either you do or you don’t.
– Create a new crime of life imprisonment for using pirated software.
We give child molesters and wife beaters less prison time.
– Increase penalties for violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act’s anti-circumvention regulations.
Again, child molesters and wife betters get less prison time. Face it, the RIAA missed the opportunity to use the internet in a way to get folks to use their product. They continue to go after their customers now through the government.
– Add penalties for “intended” copyright crimes.
“intended” copyright crimes? if you violate the copyright IMO that’s intended.
– Require Homeland Security to alert the Recording Industry Association of America
And we all know the RIAA is what keeps America safe.