vij update

Vij is a bash function that makes editing specific files easier to find in a deeply nested directory structure. At the time I was working in Java which is notorious for having a deep directory structure. In 2008, I updated vij to be more powerful by offering a list of files matching the name, giving you the option to make a choice.

Our current project is in Golang and I’ve found a deficiency in vij. We have a vendor directory which contains our dependencies and sometimes vij will find files in the vendor directory which I don’t want to edit. It would be nice to exclude a directory from the find command used by vij.

I always want to ignore the vendor directory. But I also want to allow arbitrary names to also be filtered out. The existing vij implementation results in the following crazy output.

$ vij util.go

Multiple matches found...
1: ./pkg/broker/util.go
2: ./pkg/fusortest/util.go
3: ./vendor/k8s.io/kubernetes/vendor/golang.org/x/crypto/ssh/terminal/util.go
4: ./vendor/k8s.io/kubernetes/vendor/github.com/vmware/photon-controller-go-sdk/photon/util.go
5: ./vendor/k8s.io/kubernetes/vendor/github.com/spf13/viper/util.go
6: ./vendor/k8s.io/kubernetes/vendor/github.com/spf13/cobra/doc/util.go
...
16: ./vendor/k8s.io/kubernetes/vendor/github.com/kr/pty/util.go
...
108: ./vendor/github.com/coreos/etcd/client/util.go
q: Quit

? 

I just want to see the util.go files in my code tree and ignore all of the ones in vendor. I changed the dafiles variable to have two more options. One is always ignore vendor from the normal use case, but also allow the user to pass in a string to filter on.

    if [ "$3" == "" ]; then
        dafiles=$(find . -type f -name "$2" -not -path "*/vendor/*")
    else 
        dafiles=$(find . -type f -name "$2" | grep -v $3)
    fi

Now when I run vij util.go, vij ignores the vendor directory.

$ vij util.go

Multiple matches found...
1: ./pkg/broker/util.go
2: ./pkg/fusortest/util.go
q: Quit

? 

Let’s say I want to find all files named User*.java but not the ones in the test directory. You can simply supply “test” as the second argument to vij.

BEFORE

$ vij User*.java

Multiple matches found...
1: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/auth/permissions/UserUserPermission.java
2: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/auth/permissions/UsernameConsumersPermission.java
3: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/auth/UserAuth.java
4: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/auth/UserPrincipal.java
5: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/model/User.java
6: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/model/UserCurator.java
7: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/resource/UserResource.java
8: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/service/UserServiceAdapter.java
9: ./src/test/java/org/candlepin/auth/UserPrincipalTest.java
10: ./src/test/java/org/candlepin/auth/permissions/UsernameConsumersPermissionTest.java
11: ./src/test/java/org/candlepin/model/UserTest.java
12: ./src/test/java/org/candlepin/resource/UserResourceTest.java
q: Quit

? 

AFTER

$ vij User*.java test

Multiple matches found...
1: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/auth/permissions/UserUserPermission.java
2: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/auth/permissions/UsernameConsumersPermission.java
3: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/auth/UserAuth.java
4: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/auth/UserPrincipal.java
5: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/model/User.java
6: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/model/UserCurator.java
7: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/resource/UserResource.java
8: ./src/main/java/org/candlepin/service/UserServiceAdapter.java
q: Quit

? 

Here’s the full implementation of the updated vij:

# reused by other commands that require a filename
__dafiles ()
{
    cmd=$1
    if [ "$3" == "" ]; then
        dafiles=$(find . -type f -name "$2")
        #dafiles=$(find . -type f -name "$2" -not -path "*/vendor/*")
    else
        dafiles=$(find . -type f -name "$2" | grep -v $3)
    fi
    matches=$(echo $dafiles | gawk '{print NF}')

    case "$matches" in
        0)
           echo "No matches found"
           show=""
           ;;
        1)
           show=$dafiles
           ;;
        *)
           echo
           echo "Multiple matches found..."
           i=1
           for option in $dafiles
           do
              echo "$i: $option"
              i=`expr $i + 1`
           done
           echo "q: Quit"
           echo 
           read -p "? " ans
           if [ "q" == "$ans" ]; then
              show=""
           else
              show=$(echo $dafiles | gawk '{print $'$ans'}')
           fi
           ;;
    esac

    if [ "" != "$show" ]; then
       $cmd $show
    fi
}

vij ()
{
    __dafiles "vim" $1 $2
}
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s